Saturday, January 30, 2010

one more humbling moment

we have had a ton of crap dumped into our lives in the past few months. it seems like we're living smack in the middle of the saying "when it rains, it pours." as i look back, the stuff at the beginning looks small now as it's been growing & getting more challenging recently. a week before christmas, one of our old, but mostly-trusty vehicles bit it. it's too expensive to repair & not worth it anyway, so we resigned ourselves to becoming a one car family. not ideal, but manageable right now. on our way home from christmas, our remaining car started making a bad noise which, now, a month later can no longer be ignored. add this together with the health problems chris has been having & life has become increasingly stressful. God amazingly & kindly supplied us with funds we need to pay for the medical bills through several people who were being obedient to God. that was pretty incredible to us & humbling since it's really hard to be a needy person. i like to be the helper, not the helpee.
well, the past couple of days i've really been struggling to maintain a positive attitude & finding myself sinking into a bit of a depression which is totally out of character to me. so tonight before i went upstairs to put brooke to bed, i sat down & wrote a whiny, bitchy note on my facebook status about our cars dying & how i'm sick of this "manure phase" of our lives. then when i was tucking brooke in, she was needing some extra comfort & reassurance that she's safe & doesn't need to be scared to sleep in her own bed (periodically we go through this for a few days) and i was reading the bible to her & reminding her that God's got her back & He tells us "never fear, Jesus is here!" (can you hear the superhero music?) as i walked downstairs i could hear her in her room talking out loud to jesus & asking him to comfort her & help her sleep and then i didn't hear anything else from her & she never came back down.
i was kind of patting myself on the back for having just the right things to say to her to keep her in bed & give me a quiet, peaceful evening when i realized that i was giving myself credit where credit wasn't due. the credit for it was all His & i needed to back up off of it. so then i was thinking about that & realized that while i was teaching brooke not to be afraid & to trust in God, i was doing just the opposite! just a couple weeks ago i saw Him come through for me in a really tangible way and it was like i'd already forgotten or disregarded that. thinking we were on our own again to face the big, bad world. i apologized to God for that & told him that i was going to actively trust Him to help us get vanny (our pseudo-affectionate name for our old van) fixed and to make a way when it seems there is no way. then i chucked a load of laundry into the dryer & sat down at the computer to waste some time on facebook. and there i found a msg from bucky (our pastor) offering to let us borrow his car while we get ours fixed. and there i sat with tears streaming down my face & a trembling in my heart because once again God came through for us when i just stopped trying to handle it myself & instead turned to Him for help.
when am i ever going to remember this lesson? how many more times do i need to be knocked down just so i'll remember to ask Him to please pick me up? maybe one of these days...

7 comments:

  1. You are such a helper...just in a way other than financially...and this is a much needed type of helper, for it is you that reminded me that God would take care of my every need. That is where our hope is. Thank you for being that kind of helper to me. I love you my dear friend and am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that having the opportunity to learn these lessons makes us that much more appreciative of them. I can relate to the helper/helpee thing. When I lost my job, I suddenly had to rely on my family for everything financially. It was a scary place to find myself in, but it has made me remember that doing little things for others can make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Now I am crying. What a wonderful post. God does provide and it is very easy to forget while we are in the midst of trial that He is still there. I am still struggling with some things myself and I just keep telling myself that God is bigger than the problems that I am having. I am so glad that you are blogging now. I will add you to my "blogroll".

    ReplyDelete
  4. thankful you are blogging...keep it going...praying for ya-Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am praying for ya'll! I'm glad you are my BFF and I thank you for teaching me things through what ya'll are going through!
    Love you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. WOWOWOWOW. Such a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, that last comment was me from an old account.

    ReplyDelete

don't let me be the only one doing the talking around here. spill your guts!